Sunday, February 26, 2012

Veggie Casserole

I didn't plan ahead very well this week for our vegetarian dining, so this afternoon I was kind of stuck for what to eat for lunch. Time to get creative! I had a big bag of frozen mixed vegetables in the freezer that I was never quite sure what to do with. I decided to experiment with a vegetable casserole.

Vegetable Casserole
1 lb frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 c quinoa
1/2 c brown rice
1 white onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 jalapeño, diced
1 c plain nonfat yogurt
2 t Fox Point seasoning
1 t Buttermilk Ranch seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350. Cook brown rice and quinoa according to package directions. Sauté onions, celery, and jalapeño in a little olive oil for 5-7 minutes over medium heat, season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook frozen vegetables according to package directions, drain. Mix together yogurt and seasoning, set aside. Once quinoa and rice are cooked, mix with vegetables and yogurt sauce and spread in a large baking pan. Top with breadcrumbs and about a tablespoon of butter. Bake for 30 minutes.

Not bad for an impromptu lunch. The Fox Point and Buttermilk Ranch seasonings are from our Penzeys Spices collection that my sister and brother-in-law gave to us. Highly recommended! I think this casserole would be better with some sharp cheddar cheese mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment