Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Soup

Since I started writing this blog right before I became a vegetarian for a little while, I haven't yet discussed my love for all things buffalo. I've always liked buffalo sauce, but the real love affair started in high school with the buffalo shrimp at Hooter's and the temporarily available buffalo chicken pizza from Pizza Hut. Since then I've tried all kinds of things with buffalo sauce and I've loved them all! Last year I was lucky enough to travel to Buffalo, NY, for a wedding and had a chance to eat at Anchor Bar, home of the original buffalo wing. It was amazing!

This recipe for buffalo chicken soup was easy and had tons of buffalo flavor! Major win!

Buffalo Chicken Soup

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8-10 oz), cooked and shredded
2 T olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T flour
32 oz low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 c buffalo wing sauce (I think I actually used closer to a cup)
1/3 c freshly grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
sliced whole wheat baguettes, toasted with parmesan cheese (the pita bread I had was a good substitute)
sliced green onions, crumbled gorgonzola and cilantro for topping

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions with a sprinkle of salt to the pot, stirring to coat, then cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Sprinkle in flour and stir for another 1-2 minutes. Add in stock, buffalo sauce, chicken and grated cheeses, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often.

Ladle out soup and top with toasted baguettes, cilantro, green onions, and gorgonzola.

No comments:

Post a Comment