Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gooey Butter Cake


Last weekend one of our good friends celebrated his 30th birthday. He hosted a party with a sampling of home-brewed beers that he and my husband made. They were delicious! Since you can't have a birthday party without cake, I offered to bake one for the occasion. Jim requested his mom's Gooey Butter Cake. I've never had this St. Louis specialty before, but I must say it was really good. The ease to deliciousness factor was also quite high. I think we'll be enjoying this treat again!

Gooey Butter Cake
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg
1 box yellow cake mix
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
2 eggs
1 box powdered sugar (1 lb), reserve 2 tablespoons

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease and flour a 13x9 pan. Combine first three ingredients and press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Beat the last three ingredients and pour over the bottom layer. Be careful not to mix the layers. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with reserved powdered sugar when cooled.

2 comments:

  1. I nominated you for an award :) http://differentpocket.com/2012/05/04/and-the-nomination-goes-to/ Pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed this! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete