Saturday, April 7, 2012

Individual Baked Brie

Baked brie was a staple in my house growing up. We had it at major holidays, for football game watches, random Wednesday night dinners.  I love it!  My sister sent me this recipe for individual baked brie and I had to try it. My mom always does her baked brie with brown sugar and nuts, but I decided to try it with the jelly this time. Delicious!  Next time I'll probably do some of each.

Individual Baked Brie
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed but still cold
1/2 wedge of brie, cold
1/3 c blackberry jam (or any kind you like!)
1 large egg, beaten
splash of milk

Preheat the oven to 375.

Cut the puff pastry into thirds along the creases. Cut each panel into four pieces. One sheet of puff pastry will yield 12 rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half. You’ll have 24 little rectangles that will create 12 little rectangle pockets.

Combine beaten egg and splash of milk. Brush 12 of the small rectangles with egg wash. Place a small sliver of brie (with rind) on top of the egg wash. Top with a scoop of blackberry jam. Take another square of puff pastry and press between your fingers to make the rectangle slightly bigger. Place puff pastry on top of the cheese and jam. Use a fork to press the edges together. The egg wash will act as a glue. Be sure to seal the edges by crimping with the fork.

Place prepared brie bites on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarsely ground sea salt.  Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.

These actually ended up pretty big. I think next time I'll cut the puff pastry one more time and end up with 24 instead, they'll be more bite size that way. Warn your guests before they dig in though, the filling gets really hot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment