Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Caramelized Onion Dip

It was my turn to host book club again tonight. I don't know about your book club, but ours is spent talking a little about the book and a lot about celebrity gossip and movie adaptations, all while enjoying some good wine. The hostess is responsible for the food and everyone else brings the drinks - it's a pretty nice system we have worked out.

At this point, I've tested out most of my appetizer repertoire on my book club. So when I saw this recipe on my friend's blog, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. Wow, is this good!  I will definitely be making it again.  The cayenne adds a surprising hint of heat and really you can't go wrong with caramelized onions.

I reduced the amount of butter and oil from the original recipe and I don't think they were missed.

Caramelized Onion Dip
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 T butter
2 T olive oil
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c mayonnaise

Melt oil and butter in a pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and spices and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 more minutes until the onions caramelize and are brown. Set aside to cool.

With a mixer, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the onions and mix well.

Serve with chips, celery sticks, other dipping instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment