Friday, March 16, 2012

Hint of Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Spring is almost here! Green is my favorite color! I'm (a generous) 25% Irish in real life and 100% Fighting Irish in my heart! Also, I'm in love with mint and chocolate together!

I found this picture on Pinterest and knew I had to make these for our St. Patrick's Day party. When I actually looked at the recipe though, I realized there was no way I could make those. Um, I'm not using a Sugar Cookie Mix in my chocolate chip cookies.  Seriously!

Remember that episode of Friends when Monica is trying to recreate the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe that had been in Phoebe's family for generations? Then they realize it's the Nestle Toll House recipe from the bag? I feel the same way. That is hands down my favorite cookie recipe. I made some minor tweaks to it to get the green, minty result that I wanted.

Hint of Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 c flour
1 t baking soad
1 t salt
1 c butter, softened
3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 packed brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 t peppermint extract
8-10 drops green food coloring
2 large eggs
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c mint chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and food coloring in large mixing bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 9 - 11 minutes until golden brown.

These cookies were a big hit! I thought they were the perfect "hint of mint" cookies. I probably could've added more food coloring, but I was really happy with how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment