Sunday, March 25, 2012

Noodles with Peanut Sauce


While perusing my latest issue of Runner's World last week (yes, I'm trying to be a runner again), I came across this recipe and couldn't pass it by. Noodles, peanuts, and a quick dinner, what more can you ask for?

Noodles with Peanut Sauce
6 T reduced sodium soy sauce
2 T sesame oil
1 T unsweetened peanut butter
4 T rice vinegar
1 T grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
10 ounces soba noodles (we used rice noodles instead)
5 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 c toasted sesame seeds
1/4 c chopped unsalted peanuts
1/4 c fresh cilantro leaves

In a large, shallow bowl, whisk the soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, ginger, and garlic.

In a pot, boil 3 quarts of water. Cook noodles according to package directions.

If using soba noodles, drain in a colander; run hot water over the noodles until the water runs clear. (If the noodles aren't washed, they'll be starchy and sticky.) Drain thoroughly again.

Add noodles to the sauce and toss to coat evenly. Add scallions; toss again. Garnish with sesame seeds, peanuts, and cilantro.


We couldn't find soba noodles at the store, but I think the rice noodles were a good substitution. I'd be curious to see if the taste changes very much if we used soba instead. I think next time I will increase the peanut butter in the sauce. Maybe 2 tablespoons? I just wouldn't mind it a little more peanut buttery.

No comments:

Post a Comment