Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dad's Caesar Salad

My mom is an excellent cook, I got my appreciation for good cooking (and lots of recipes) from her. My dad, on the other hand, is really good at making two things. He is always the grill master at home and can grill a mean steak or burger. But I think where his culinary skills really shine is with this salad! For as long as I can remember, if we had a caesar salad, my dad made it. This is his recipe which I try to emulate. I still think his is better though!

Caesar Salad
3 cloves or garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 t dry mustard
1/2 t worchestershire sauce
4 T grated Parmesan (divided)
1 t Anchovy paste (optional)
1 T lemon juice
1 T white wine vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
Hot sauce
1 head romaine lettuce, torn

Combine garlic, mustard, worchestershire, and 1 T Parmesan in the bottom of a wooden salad bowl. Mix with a fork until a paste forms. Add anchovy paste, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil, and a few shakes of hot sauce. Combine all ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes. Add lettuce to the bowl and top with remaining Parmesan. Toss to combine.

This salad really stands on its own, but it's even better with homemade croutons and grilled chicken or shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment